Saturday, November 19, 2011

Cut Eyeglasses Cost - Not Quality

If you're anything like me, you are on the lookout for quality items at decent prices. My husband just purchased new eyeglasses and they certainly weren't cheap eyeglasses. Although we have optical insurance, we still end up paying too much (in my opinion) for frames. Why do they have to cost so much?

The answer is that they don't have to. I have talked to my readers in the past about Zenni Optical, and with good reason. This is a company that does not sell name brand designer eyeglasses. They are their own manufacturer and retailer, omitting the middleman completely. They state that they keep a very low overhead in terms of advertising as well, preferring to have word-of-mouth by satisfied customers do the job. All of that results in cheap eyeglasses.

I certainly don't mean to scrimp on eye prescriptions. I know firsthand, with the poor eyesight that I have, the importance of having the correct eyeglasses. Lens prescription really matters. Make sure you get an eye exam and get the prescription you need in order to see well.

We should always be mindful of the ways in which we spend our money. I figure that if I spend less on things that I need or want, I can spend more on things like missions and charitable causes. If I'm forking out tons to have the latest brand name in things like clothing, handbags and eyeglasses, what does that say about me? I think that this Christmas season we should do as much as we can to save in order to have the freedom to spend in the lives of others.

As an aside, if you have several back pairs of glasses that you are no longer using, please consider donating them for those who cannot afford any. Organizations like the Lions Club will distribute them to someone who can really use them.

No comments: