The result was delicious, though I was about the only one who thought so. I guess I'm the only one in the family to really love beets. Rosie the iguana enjoys the greens so I gave her a few fresh ones and then blanched and froze the rest for winter use.
Here are a few beet facts:
- Beets are packed with vitamins A, B1, B2, B6, and C. They are also good antioxidants - they especially protect against colon and stomach cancers.
- The leaves of beets are more nutritious than the roots - the iron content in the greens are high and compare to that of spinach.
- Beet greens taste similar to chard and are rich in chlorophyll.
- Beet juice helps to prevent varicose veins.
- Beet roots and their greens help cleanse and build blood.