Friday, May 01, 2009

Saturday Scripture Speaks - May 2

I know how to be abased and live humbly in straitened circumstances, and I know also how to enjoy plenty and live in abundance. I have learned in any and all circumstances the secret of facing every situation, whether well-fed or going hungry, having a sufficiency and enough to spare or going without and being in want. I have strength for all things in Christ Who empowers me I am ready for anything and equal to anything through Him Who infuses inner strength into me; I am self-sufficient in Christ's sufficiency. Philippians 4:12-13 (Amplified Bible)

I've been thinking about contentment for quite some time - what does it take to make us "content?" Our only mode of transportation is truly on its last "wheels." Our house has mold in the walls (and this is possibly a serious problem.) We never have enough money to pay the bills. Our children don't have all of the newest trendiest clothing. I could go on and on and on.

My friend, Angela, has a post about contentment and her own struggle with being happy with what God has blessed her. As I watched her video I thought, "Oh my goodness! I'm not the only one!" While it made me feel good to know that I don't struggle alone, I also felt ashamed of my lack of contentment.

In the above verses, the apostle Paul says that he's enjoyed the good things in life and he's gone without. But through it ALL, he's learned to be content. The real secret to contentment isn't in stuff, it's in Christ. He makes me strong with the kind of strength that brings me safely through trials that, alone, I could never endure.

Spiritual sufficiency is so much better than anything money can buy.

No comments: