This is a week that causes me to pause and reflect. How have I passed on the news that Jesus gave of Himself sacrificially so that others might know and receive that most precious of gifts? It is a voluntary gift given by Jesus - one that requires a voluntary receipt.
John 10:18 says, "No one takes my life from me. I give it up willingly! I have the power to give it up and the power to receive it back again, just as my Father commanded me to do." (Contemporary English Version) The emphasis is mine.
It humbles me greatly to realize that a sovereign God gave all that He had willingly in order to redeem mankind for His own. I don't deserve that kind of love. I don't know anyone who does.
This week I'm thankful for:
- Jesus and His gift of life, given through His shed blood on a cross.
- That Jesus didn't stay in the tomb but that He rose to fulfill the Scriptures. I can have full confidence that what He said will be, will be!
- That He is alive forever - We serve a living God!
- That this gracious and loving God cares about my day to day struggles. I can go to Him in prayer and He hears me. I am not alone and I am well cared for. Nothing can happen that God does not allow and He protects me. I can rest in the shadow of His wing.
- My family - I am more blessed than I'll ever realize.
- My friends - those I see in person and those long distance. Man is not meant to be alone. God created Eve for Adam so he wouldn't be alone. Friends are a special blessing.
Other Thankful Thursday posts can be found at: Women Taking a Stand.