Wednesday, December 24, 2008

A Kind Word

**Disclaimer** This post is not about any one person. I simply read another blog post and was so impressed by it that I wanted to share some thoughts. Our tongues have the power to divide or to heal - it's up to us.

I read a great post on another blog concerning unkind words vs. kind words and I knew I had to write this if to do nothing more than put a bug in your ear about how easy it is during a holiday season to use our tongues unwisely.

James 3:9-16 says, "With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God's likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be. Can both fresh water and salt water flow from the same spring? My brothers, can a fig tree bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Neither can a salt spring produce fresh water." (NIV)

How easy it is to attack a person rather than simply the opinion they possess. This Christmas (and throughout the new year), please stop and consider your words before letting them fly. If you have an opinion to share respectfully, feel free. But if you wish to attack someone personally regarding a difference of opinion, please do so kindly through an e-mail or otherwise rather than do so publicly. You only make yourself look bad in the long run.

No comments: