Saturday, November 15, 2008

Mary Poppins in the Kitchen

I've found a really interesting book for moms and young children to use for a home economic type study. This one is an older one - my favorite kind - and is titled, Mary Poppins in the Kitchen: A Cookery Book with a Story by P.L Travers and Maurice Moore-Betty. What I love about this book is that the recipes are very kid friendly and it's based upon the Mary Poppins story. There are also wonderful line drawings throughout. Amanda and Ryan have both thoroughly enjoyed watching the Disney version of Mary Poppins so I figured we couldn't lose.

The first half of the book is a story about Mary Poppins and the children she nannies as they decide how to make menus, and cook them up, in the lady of the house's absence. The second half of the book is filled with the recipes for the menus they have created.

Amanda and I have begun the book and we've made bread pudding. Jeff (lying I'm sure) told Amanda it's the best bread pudding he's ever eaten.

No comments: