Saturday, June 14, 2008

What a Day

Well, I sure got a lot more accomplished today than I originally thought (or intended!) I'm not sure if it was accidental or not, but I'm pleased.

First off - I made another batch of cold process soap. This time I went with a different combination - slightly. I substituted some olive oil for soybean oil and it seems to be setting up really well already tonight. I bet by tomorrow it'll be a bit difficult to cut into bars. Besides the addition of olive oil, I tried a new spice combo - ground ginger, ground coriander & ground calendula. I also added about an ounce of gingerbread fragrance oil. Tonight the soap is a soft brown color and pretty firm. It's also still pretty warm to the touch.

I began weeding the garden earlier in the afternoon but my neighbor called and asked if I could watch two of her children for a while. I did that, but never got back to the weeding. I guess that's okay. In place of the weeding I got three batches of laundry washed and hung on the line. Later, I took them down and placed them in baskets. They are still in the baskets. Only half done there I guess.

I made homemade fettuccine with ham for supper. There's something about the thick homemade noodles that give a dish a better taste than when it's made with store bought noodles. Anyway, the supper took a little longer than I'd hoped.

In between all of that I counseled my son concerning his personal life. I never thought the day would come when he'd actually ask for my opinion and then really do as I said he should. Is that a sign that he's growing up? Maybe it's a sign that he's dependent on us and NOT growing up? Whatever it is, I was glad that he took my suggestions because I've spent a lot of time in prayer concerning this and I think he even has too.

This brings me to a lesson learned as a parent. It's our job to see that our children know the difference between right and wrong. It's our job to see that they make it to adulthood understanding what the Bible says. If we truly believe that the Bible is true and that God is the God of the Bible, we will want to see our kids learn all about God and what He says in the Bible. We can't expect them to just pick it up on their own through osmosis. We can't expect them to learn it elsewhere. We need to love our kids enough to tell them the truth.

No comments: