As if it isn't cold enough in the north, it's cold in our house. Last night I was up past midnight because I kept hearing a loud bang and then smelled a strong smoke smell in our bedroom. I didn't want to wake up Jeff since he has to get up at 4:00 a.m. for work, so I just kept running back and forth trying to figure out what was going on.
Now I know it's our furnace. This morning it was louder and instead of one bang followed by heat, it was 3 in a row, and so loud it shook the floor. I turned the thermostat down and turned on an electric heater in one end of the house and turned up Josh and Evan's electric heat (with a fan in the doorway to blow the warm air out to the family room and kitchen.) Jeff tried to get a repair man but nobody answers the phone - he called maybe 6 guys - so we're going to try to keep warm with the electric heat until after Christmas.
I'm scared to death to think of what this might cost, but more than that I fear for safety. I'm praising the Lord today that we were kept safe during the night and that the furnace didn't blow up the house.